We all browse the web a lot (most of us 60% or more of our day!). Here are a few shortcuts that we find helpful and that I (Josiah) use every day. What do you use that I missed?
Ctrl+L – Jump to address bar
Ctrl+K – Jump to search bar (Ctrl+E for IE)
Ctrl+Tab – Switch open tabs
Ctrl+1,2,3,4…. – Go to tab number 1,2,3,4…
Ctrl+9 – Go to last tab
(also Ctrl+Page Down and Ctrl+Page Up navigate open tabs)
Backspace – go back
Alt+Left arrow – go back
Alt+Right arrow – go forward
Ctrl+F – Find text on a page
Happy productive surfing!
Copying and pasting is probably one of the most used functions we go through every day.
Since not everything can be automated (but what can, should be), we are on a constant hunt to find ways to make the routine easier.
One such way is copying and pasting with ease – using your mouse buttons!
If your hands are already on your mouse, this method can be much easier, and require less movement of your hands and wrists, to accomplish a quick copy/paste!
It works just like Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V, except hold down the WINDOWS Key, and click the Right mouse button to Copy, and the Left mouse button to Paste.
- COPY: Windows+Right Mouse Button
- PASTE: Windows+Left Mouse Button
May not work in some designer programs (like CorelDraw) but should function in most windows programs like your email and web browser.
button to Paste.
In order for macros to work, sometimes Macros have to be enabled in Excel. Often they are disabled for increased security.
Depending on which version of Excel you have, follow the steps below to enable them and allow macros (order forms or other functions) to work.
The average worker spends half their day on emails – that is huge when you consider that equals 70 hours month, 105 days a year – and if you are paid at $15/hour, that comes out to $12,600 a year, per worker!
No word on how much of that time is spent on personal email versus work email.
Email is one of the key areas we at JetStream focus on saving you time and improving productivity.
Here are 8 tips for boosting your productivity in Outlook. Which email program do you use and would like to see tips for?
- Use Rules – move common messages (newsletters, blog subscriptions, specials) you always move by hand or delete into other folders so they don’t clutter up your day. Read them when you have down time.
- Only use flags when necessary – ideally you want to take care of it as SOON as you read it.
- Did you know you can drag and drop an email on the calendar to turn it into an event?
- Create messages quickly by Pasting copied text inside your Outlook mail view – or by creating a shortcut on your desktop to a certain person.
- Use a Spam Blocker like Cloudmark to eliminate 90% of the junk (each time you have to look over an email and hit Delete, it takes time and mental energy)
- Use Signatures for all your common signatures – never type out an ending to an email more than once!
- Use QuickParts (in Outlook 2007+) for anything you ever have to type – instructions, FAQ’s, address, phone number, directions, common questions you ask… Easy to setup and use!
- Bonus tip – Use advanced macros and scripts to automate tips #4, 6 and 7! We can show you how, just send us an email.
Any other tips for outlook? What is your favorite time saving technique?
Here’s something I’ve been trying the last few months as a way to boost my productivity.
The way the brain and our bodies work is on for a period, off for a period, on, then off. We can’t normally go for 8 hours of continuous, productive work. We need breaks, stretches, things to take our minds of the project to, ironically, get us refocused.
So here’s what I’ve been doing
- Pick a project that needs to get done (prioritize your list of projects first)
- Get everything together for it, and then GO for 15 minutes. No emails, no phone calls, no interruptions (or, if not possible, I just try and keep the interruptions short)
- During that 15 minutes FOCUS and WORK hard – get as much done as I can
- Then, take a 5 minute break. Check email. Get up and “lead by walking around,” talk to someone, answer a question
- Then, back at it for a solid, dedicated 15 minutes on that project.
This has allowed me to get more done on certain projects than working on them for the entire day. Sometimes, depending on the type of work, I can get more done in 10 minutes of focused work than I could in 4 hours of distracted work.
Give it a try! How did it work for you?
JetStream is getting ready to launch into the stratosphere! After our testing “beta” phase, we are ready to begin building our client base and serve you with efficiency improvements!
You might be wondering, what does JetStream do? In a nutshell, we give you more time so you can focus on growing your business.
How? By taking a look at where you spend the bulk of your computer time, and then recommending products and macros that can save you time, and by providing efficiency training.
Our initial consultation is no charge – then we provide you with our list of ways to increase productivity based on our years of experience and real world application, and you choose where you want to focus!
If you spend more than 1 hour on the computer a day, we know we can save you and your team TIME and MONEY and probably improve accuracy.
Interested? Contact the Computer Efficiency Experts today!
Subscribe to the blog, where we’ll be providing you with tips on improving productivity on your computer and in life!
You can learn more about us on our About page.
We look forward to helping you succeed and improve efficiency.
Josiah and Jason just started JetStream Automation – with over 2 years experience in automating computer tasks, we make the day more efficient for todays working professional. Bookmark us today to see what’s coming!
We make your tasks run them selves – so you can run to starbucks
We save you time and money by automating your common computer tasks
We let your computer do the work
so you have more time to spend on important things/more time in your day/spend less time on medial tasks (routine,repetitive,monotonous,)
We take the repetitiveness out of your redundant processes, making your computer do the redundant, monotonous work for you, so you have more mental energy to spend on important, business growing tasks.
We save you from computer fatigue, so you can do more in a day with less errors